• What to like about the dog
According to many beagle fanatics, these dogs are friendly, smart, playful and the best part, affectionate. One of the reasons they get rated among the best family pets is the fact that, they are small, easy to groom and most importantly, they love children. Apparently, they are more energetic than many other pets because of their hunting nature. Also, they are sociable and enjoy being around people and will meet and greet anyone they come across. Unlike many other pet dogs, they are versatile and can perform a variety of tasks besides their tracking ability.
• What you might not like about the dog
Despite its wonderful nature, a beagle dog has its downside just like any other pet. It is not bad for any dog to bark, but beagles’ howling can be disturbing, especially when you are not living in your compound. Also, beagles are always not looking forward to pleasing anyone. For this reason, they can be hard to train, but this is a problem you should leave to a pet trainer. Lastly, they are fond of following their noses making it easy for them to wander off your property and get into trouble.
As you can see, owning a beagle dog, despite their loving nature, can be a task sometimes. And that is why dog experts highly advise that you introduce obedience training as early as possible. Especially if you are a very busy person. Just like any other dog, they also need to maintain their overall fitness to remain healthy.
It is easy to assume the exercise needs of beagles because of their small size. Beagle dogs, unlike many other dog breeds, needs to exercise a lot to stay healthy. According to dog experts, Beagles have a short attention span, meaning that if they don’t exercise, they will easily get bored. Also, as mentioned earlier, they are very active and would enjoy being outdoor more often.
If you don’t have a protected yard where they can walk or run freely, you can always take them for a walk to prevent them from gaining weight. Because they are natural hunters, they require running more often. Besides, taking them for a run will also help you achieve your fitness goals.
Here are some common exercise games that make beagle exercising enjoyable.
• Treats – Just like any dog, beagles love a reward especially, after achieving something. But, you are required to give them a treat only one. Other times, you can show them that you appreciate what they are doing by giving them a pat on their backs.
• Running behind a flying ribbon – A beagle will keep on chasing a ribbon until you are done playing with it making it easy for it to maintain a healthy weight.
• Fetch – All dogs love playing fetch, but they will love it more if whatever you want them to fetch smells good.
As beagles are more energetic than many other dogs, spare at least 30 minutes to train with your beagle dog, at least twice every day. Doing this will prevent it from becoming so excited and stubborn due to boredom.